Progress in of International Exchange ― Building and Utilizing an International Network
We have established relationships with institutions in Asia and the United States. We provide opportunities for students, doctors, nurses and faculty to experience overseas research and education.
- Since the first overseas visits to medical institutions in China in1982, KMU established relationships with China Medical University (Shengyan), Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Tongji Medical College (HUST-TMC) (Wuhan) and China-Japan Friendship Hospital (Beijing). Thereafter, KMU has expanded the international exchange programs by establishing relationships with Yarsi Medical College in Jakarta, Vietnam Military University (Hanoi), Magdeburg University in Germany and Yaroslavl State Medical University in Russia.
- Kanazawa Medical University has affiliations with the Schools of Medicine at Mercer University (Georgia), the University of Hawaii and the University of Vermont in the U.S., and the University of Magdeburg in Germany for student exchange programs with the aim of providing clinical training for students. These clinical training programs grant credits. Also, since 2013, students from HUST-TMC in China have been participating in a nursing practicum at the School of Nursing. Additionally, summer language programs are held at Sonoma State University (California) in the U.S. and the University of Auckland in New Zealand.
Accepting Overseas Students and Researchers
- Since 1979, the university has accepted approximately 400 overseas students and researchers for purposes ranging from short term training to postgraduate Ph.D. courses.
Advanced Clinical Training of Overseas Medical Practitioners (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
- Being designated as an authorized training hospital by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, we accept overseas advanced clinical trainees for instruction given by doctors certified as trainers.
- Since its establishment, the university has been dispatching its medical/office staff overseas as members of international collaborative projects run by JICA and as members of JMTDR. Members of our university have been dispatched to over 20 countries throughout the world, and have taken part in providing support to refugees and in rescue activities.
- In 2009, we established an agreement on medical cooperation with the Ministry of Health, Republic of Palau. Under this agreement, the doctors at KMU have been providing advice on patient CT images sent from the Belau National Hospital and clinics on isolated islands.