KMU Home

Kanazawa Medical University  Center for International Exchange

International researchers and students
Since 1979, Kanazawa Medical University has accepted approximately 420 overseas students and researchers ranging from short term training to postgraduate Ph.D. courses.

Foreign nationals who apply for a short-term research position or wish to extend their research period need to be approved by the Committee on International Exchange. Also, applicants for the graduate school at Kanazawa Medical University (KMU), including persons from an affiliated university, need to take the entrance exam after entering Japan with an appropriate visa. Please contact us for further information.


We have scholarships available for researchers and students who belong to our partner universities abroad. We also provide information on other scholarship opportunities for those not affiliated with our partner universities. Contact us for the latest information.

  Organization Name of Scholarship Application period
Short-term Researchers  Kanazawa Medical University    Partner University Project Researcher  June
Short-term Researcher July 
Prospective Students Partner University Students September 
Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology  Monbukagakusho Scholarship Student (University Recommendation)  November 
Graduate Students     Monbukagakusho Scholarship Student (Domestic Selection) February  
Japan Students Services Organization (JASSO) Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students April 
Ishikawa Prefecture Ishikawa Prefectural Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students  April 
Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Foundation Doctoral Course Scholarship August 
Heiwa Nakajima Foundation Doctoral Course Scholarship  August 

Before Arrival

A foreign national who wishes to stay in Japan is required to obtain a proper Japanese visa. This visa application should be made at the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in his/her home country. A researcher visiting Kanazawa Medical University is usually able to stay in Japan under one of the following statuses: “Student” for a graduate student and “Cultural Activities” for a short-term researcher. These visa applications require a “Certificate of Eligibility” which will be issued by the Immigration Bureau of Japan.

3 months prior  2 months prior 1 month prior 2weeks prior  
International researcher
or student
Send required
documents to
KMU faculty
        Receive certificate, apply for
Obtain visa Entry into Japan
 KMU faculty   Submit
to KMU
  Apply for
Certificate of Eligibility
  Send certificate
to applicant
 KMU   Examine documents;
Immigration Bureau       Screen applicant;
Issue certificate
  Application to KMU Application for Certificate of Eligibility to Immigration Bureau in Japan Application for visa at Japanese Embassy / Consulate  

In some circumstances it may take longer to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility. Please prepare the required documents promptly for quick completion of administrative procedures.    *Certificate of Eligibility


 Number of international researchers and students  As of May 1, 2018
 Category Number currently registered Total since
Graduate students Researchers Total  
China 14 4  18  311
Indonesia    18
Taiwan       16
Germany       7
Thailand     9
Paraguay   6
Brazil     5
Vietnam 1    1  12
Bangladesh       2
India     2
Russia       18 
Other    1 1  11 
Total 15 5 20 417 

Useful websites

 Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology (MEXT)
 Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)
 Immigration Bureau
 Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
 Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)